Outsourcing IT services involves enlisting a trusted third-party supplier, often a Managed Service Provider, who will handle the business' IT needs - whether that be a 24/7 support service, a digital transformation project, cyber-security solutions or your entire IT stack.
In recent years, outsourcing IT services has become more popular among law firms seeking to save costs, access specialised expertise, and scale their IT services as needed.
Advantages of outsourcing IT services for law firms
1. Cost savings: Outsourcing IT services can save law firms money by reducing the need for in-house IT staff, office space rental, and equipment costs. For example, outsourcing IT services to a company based in a lower-cost region can result in significant cost savings without sacrificing quality.
2. Access to expertise: Outsourcing can provide law firms with access to specialised expertise and knowledge that may not be available in-house. For instance, outsourcing IT services can offer specialised skills in areas such as cybersecurity, cloud computing, and software development.
3. Scalability: Outsourcing IT services can help law firms adjust to changes in workload and business needs. Outsourced IT services can quickly scale up or down to meet demand, allowing law firms to avoid the costs and risks of hiring and firing in-house IT staff. Transitioning to cloud services can also help law firms easily scale resources up or down as required.
Disadvantages of outsourcing IT services for law firms
Although there are clearly benefits of outsourcing, you also need to consider the below factors:
1. Security and confidentiality risks: Outsourcing IT services can expose law firms to security and confidentiality risks, such as data breaches and leaks of confidential information. For example, a third-party provider may have weaker security protocols than the law firm's in-house IT staff, leaving the firm vulnerable to cyber-attacks and data theft. Therefore, when selecting your partner, you need to thoroughly check the service provider’s background and alignment to privacy and regulatory standards, such as ISO-27001, to ensure your organisation’s assets are in safe hands.
2. Quality control issues: Outsourcing can lead to quality control issues if not properly managed. Poor communication, lack of transparency, and differences in work culture and standards can create quality control issues that affect the performance of outsourced IT services. Law firms need to find out the MSP's process for knowledge transfer and training for existing teams to expand the capabilities of the workforce and ensure they can run the tools internally should they wish to suspend the relationship.
Outsourcing IT services can offer significant advantages to law firms, including cost savings, access to expertise, and scalability. However, it also poses risks such as security breaches, quality control issues, and loss of control over critical business functions. Law firms considering outsourcing their IT services should carefully evaluate potential providers, establish clear communication and expectations, and monitor the quality of outsourced services regularly. By taking these steps, law firms can reap the benefits of outsourcing while minimising its risks.
With more than 20 years’ experience in the legal sector, we truly understand your needs. Our IT Services – covering security, modern workplace, cloud, and managed services can help you on your journey to a stronger future. Click here to learn about Advanced's IT Services for Legal
“The knowledge and capabilities that the team at Advanced have are world class. As a charity, it was really important for us to partner with someone that understood what we needed and Advanced did just that – they understood our vision.” Rob Bing, IT Service Manager - St Andrew’s Healthcare
At Advanced, we understand that every industry faces unique challenges and requires tailored IT services to meet specific needs. With extensive cross-sector experience, Advanced are able to support, design, implement and manage your IT environment and empower your organisation. Learn more about our IT Services for Legal.